Thursday, March 16, 2017

THE EVALUATION

“Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God” (Romans 13:1).

Just lately, when I finally took my long needed rest, I have surprisingly noticed my work seems to have a little similarity with, as it follows the path of, my Facebook status un-updated: it’s complicated. The past few days I’ve been involved in a series of high-stakes cases that had one trembling finger on a firing pin become too much excited, I could have been what they would simply call “The Departed.”

Exasperated, sometimes I wish I’d never been appointed to this job and just pursued my long-time desire instead to start a “lugaw-goto” business with relentless resolve and ardor. I said to myself I would have remembered that only in entrepreneurship I could really own my own time and do myself a favor even if I would start with selling doors, door to door.

For after mulling over necessary considerations I’m fully convinced I have to abandon now my original plan to venture into computer business to totally avoid my customers’ insults that may hurt and cut like barbs. Yeah, I always admit I’m a “computer lizard” and I don’t want to be like that someone who, when asked to create a password with eight characters, he entered “Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.”

But sometimes, we are in a situation where we truly have no more other option but to face our current life and make something better out of it as we go on. And reasons vary why we prefer to stay to take that problem by the horn since we’re more afraid to turn our back and choose the other path of leveled up competition. And also, one of such reasons is simple and pure: we don’t want a result that frustrates the most: failure.

This fear of failure is so intimidating that we the sponge-hearted sort hesitate to convincingly take life’s challenges. This fear of failure is so daunting that it causes apathy and mediocrity among us average kind of the human species. But there are times in our lives when we would be compelled to stick with what we have only to save the flickering light of a certain relationship, or simply, to keep the love alive. Several years ago I was given a chance by a friend to try the Office of the Ombudsman where the pay was 150% higher than the salary I was then receiving but I declined.

The reason was the burning love I had for my work which at the time was blazing like the fire of March.  There are moments in a man’s life when he has to ignore the color of money just to follow the will of his heart.

“Many waters cannot quench love,” as King Solomon said, including love for our work. We cling on to this and that job not just because of privileges and benefits, perks and pork. We truly love it because we truly love it and more so the people around it either.  That’s why we don’t mind growing old with that job even with a salary so meager.

A true servant has only one option:  Bite the bullet and carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment