Thursday, March 16, 2017

HEART STRONG



Last Saturday, March 15, I nearly ignorantly committed a very grievous sin: I’ve had thought of abandoning my loving wife and our innocent children.

The reason: I have wanted desperately to run away with the beautiful, Jordanesque-tongued Alyssa Valdez, who else,—the half-woman-half amazing, C-4-charged megastar walloping captain of Ateneo volleybelles. Had I had my private plane full-tanked and been younger by a couple of fourscore years that Saturday, right after their La Salle conquest in a three-set victory, I would have packed up and picked up Alyssa and have flown away.

I am just glad my love for my wife still knows well reason. I’m so happy for my young kids I still got a heart strong.

We human beings truly ought not to be fond of “salitang patapos,” that is, putting a period in each and every statement we make even if we are doing it with our hearts crossed. Look at me, I never thought that again I could love volleyball—and a volleybelle to boot—after the heartbreaking final retirement of my first love in the game:  Ms. Leila Barros.

Oh, what a joy to behold the Ateneans during that winner-take-all match throughout and not just in part. Truly they showed to all and sundry that between them and the female Archers, the Lady Eagles had the bigger heart.

Whoever got that idea of getting Tai the Thai coach convinced me finally despite the English words I heard so far to come out from his mouth and armory were just “fight,” “left,” “right” and “heart strong.” It was “lucky” move if not a stroke of a genius because it went on to show that one can have a conclusion that sometimes a coach need not accurate or appropriate words to make his team a champion. It’s always the team spirit, attitude, and motivation that matter. They’re the factors that separate the conqueror and the mediocre.

I could only watch in awe of Ateneo because this year’s conquest of them of the UAAP Volleyball Finals was the very most special. Imagine, they had to survive three knock-out matches versus other teams and another three do-or-die games with the mighty La Salle. Definitely, doing the improbable in your lifetime is the most satisfying victory a human being can have. Pushing yourself to the limit and see what you can achieve are the prerequisite to a faithful self-love.

I agree completely with Pastor Ian Glenn last Sunday about his observation why of all the more promising land on this planet the Lord had created, why did He choose the river-less and seemingly non-arable land of Canaan to be given to the Israelites from generation to generation as their Land of Promise?

When you go farming the natural dry land and rely only on the chance of rain to water your plants, surely you need faith at least as big as a grain of the mustard seed (Matthew 17:20) that people may see the impossible is in your God’s hands.

Our God with the strongest heart Who is the God of improbable, miracle and impossible, is so easily reachable that anyone can also have. He Who is higher than the highest, greater than the great, mightier than the mightiest and the Champion of Love.

To Whom everyone has equal chance and opportunity and no one is beyond redemption no matter how great is his sin of commission. He just wanted to know complete repentance and acknowledgment of His saving grace and mercy and man’s sinfulness’ resignation.

As the late Rockets’ coach Rudy Tomjanovich opined: “Do not underestimate the heart of a champion.” God will always be there hoping you’ll open opportunity for Him to come in, to make your heart strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment