Saturday, March 25, 2017

STARTING ‘EM YOUNG


If we try to scrutinize the whys and wherefores of people who became successful in different fields of dreams on this planet, top reason was because they started young, sacrificed a lot and disciplined themselves, just to reach such dream’s zenith.

I could still remember our class motto which was suggested by us ‘The Young Guns,’ during our first year in the secondary: “Bend the tree while young.”  Too bad I took it literally just after two years thus I ended up bending and burning dried five-finger weeds to bring its smoke to my also young lungs.

But good thing due to lack of funds I abandoned the plan to pursue the plant, and settled instead with Bhoy’s and Pongkie’s company like an aspiring guitarman.  

That resulted to my being constantly surrounded by the sounds of giant Musicbugs like The Beatles and the Bee Gees.  And munching Bread and Hotdog in Styx as I watched in Chicago how the Queen and Boyfriends would make up and Kiss.

“Start ‘em young, raise ‘em right” is the principle embraced around the world, as shown by Herr Hitler, as it guaranteed success.  Look at the Chinese, they excel in world sports because they commenced training right from childhood, a long-time process.

Wonder why the so-called “freedom fighters” of war-freak countries seem to be ruthless and fearless?  It’s because even their minds were trained and shared by their leaders and handlers to start with hatred.

If we only know how to start passionately everything with love, surely not one amongst us would learn to cheat, murder and rob. Start ‘em young, “for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap,” as the Bible would say (Galatians 6:7).  Look at little boy Gervacio who loved booze early, he’d be later known without doubt as “Basyong Bote.”

As a struggling parent, I may not be able to provide a vehicle for them but I know I have to ensure the Way will be known by my kids. May God bless me as I train up my children in the Way they should go, that even when they are old they will not depart from It (Proverbs 22:6).

Eternal security for them ismy ultimate achievement.  May the gracious God have mercy on my only dream…

No comments:

Post a Comment