Friday, November 11, 2016

THE TALE OF THREE TYPHOONS


Yolanda was only the third typhoon to leave a mark in my own consciousness since my world began to exist. From childhood, I could still recall those whistling four strong winds banging our window frames, but I think during the time, from the Samson of typhoons to the so-called ‘weakest link,’ Pagasa had yet to learn naming names.

Therefore, everytime I count the ways, it’s always safe that I’d consider ‘Undang’ on top of my list. It was during its coming that I saw on a wet asphalt street a jumping ‘ibis,’ a salt-water fish. I was strolling with the young Pastor Mueda up to Krosing Kamatis just hours after that ‘Undang’ strike, and I remember I was sadistically enjoying watching that ‘ibis’ running out of oxygen, fading away and die.

If I further remember it right, it was the very first time that Kirayan Norte had cut off actual relationship with its two neighboring highway barangays. It was due to the fact that the respective bridges connecting it with Kirayan Sur and Banuyao were out and impassable, cutting its physical ties from both sides.

But since out of some bad times come real good times, the late Bok Nani Pal-ak had emerged as the luckiest guy. The Lamnalco 11, the PUJ he was driving, was the only mode of transportation left stranded within our isolated barangay. Thus for several days his Isuzu KC20 was like a hen laying golden eggs because his then peso-fare for less than one-kilometer one-way trip was only good for from bridge to bridge.

When the Kirayan Sur-Kirayan Norte Bridge finally found funds and started its reconstruction, I immediately applied to MPWH as also for-hire young laborer in meager remuneration. Being a Marine fresh grad then without any source of income, I knew I had to grab that labor job opportunity to support my cigarettes and booze for many more months.

But the reason perhaps why I was raring to get hired was not just about financial drain brought about by ‘Bagyo Undang.’ I suspect chief of which was the porcelain-skinned pretty project engineer named ‘Doray’ whom Migo Boyet Moleje described as ‘bagyo ang katawan.’

That was my first close encounter with “pongki” and “mixer,” and personal experience of an old popular mantra, but that was when I also had proven that not only in Negros Island where “ang kwarta, gina-piko, gina-pala.”

I only heard then from word of mouth about ‘Ruping’s’ disgrace, as it was also a strong typhoon to ever hit our place. However, at the time I was elsewhere as a drifter in Manila and had also personal storm to face. Therefore I consider ‘Frank’ as only the second typhoon with significance to my existence, but praise God, like ‘Undang’ and ‘Yolanda’ which claimed and devastated lives, we were spared from a harrowing experience.

The night a portion of ‘Yolanda’ whistled and passed by, hovering over Kirayan skies, I watched as I stood outside our main door while watching also my kids in deep slumber, peacefully closing their eyes.

I recounted that even from ‘Undang,’ when I was yet blind, up to ‘Frank’ and ‘Yolanda,’ when I already regained sight, I honestly didn’t feel too much fear of what would happen eventually. Especially at the last two after knowing Him saying, “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea,I will help thee” (Isaiah 41:10).

Truly, no man can withstand nature’s scorn as he will only recognize his helplessness while typhoon’s wrath proves true to form. He’d only remain calm with Christ’s in his vessel and in his home, as, landfall or not, he can just smile at the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment