Saturday, November 5, 2016

COMING TO AMERICA



One of the girls I care about in this world had finally set foot in America a few days ago. Not at her own expense, neither mine excuse me, but because of a kind, generous soul who’s the only one who could give a signal “Go!”

My beloved didn’t expect it to happen. No, not even in her wildest dream. All things just fell into place. Though some of which nearly broke into pieces. Well, who can argue with the Chief Architect of a life we built? Who makes all things happen, and of hearts he’d harden and melt?

I remember the time I accompanied my beloved anew for her visa application interview. As I waited for her outside the Jericho-like embassy wall, I met these two despondent female senior citizens both wailing in the wall. The reason: for the nth time they were both rejected outright by the Schwarzenegger-look alike stoic U.S. consul, that was why in that moment of renewed grief no one around them anymore could convincingly console.

With obvious pride in their hoarse voices, they told me they were both hailed from Cebu, which tempted me to almost call “Odang” the less pretty between the two. The other one, who miraculously admitted to be seventy-something yet despite tears the shades of beauty in the past whereon her face still glaring, admitted also that in the same past she broke the hearts of many men and sent most of them all crying, thus she suspected that what was happening to her then was a comeuppance directly sent from heaven.

I nearly fainted due to my sudden burst of laughter, I guaranteed her that love and America don’t mix as many women in there had in the past my heart also in pieces did they tear, but look where they are now, some are Californian, some are New Yorker.

She managed to smile timidly and her beauty’s faded glory came into full view again when it was refreshed though briefly. I bombarded her with flurrying words of encouragement and some fine cliché yet I still saw a white flag in her tone when they went their way after sweetly saying goodbye to me.

They could not understand why the authorities of the United States kept on denying them a visa, considering the alleged overwhelming finances of their respective children who were married to each other right in America. Well, I pity them despite their full years they had yet to grasp American policy so well: What is right is what America would preach and feel. What is fair is what America to the world would tell. Her judgment is unassailable. Like the Pope, she is “infallible.”
           
Well, for my beloved, she fulfilled herself a dream she never dreamed of and reeled, what other people dreamed all their lives and failed. But she could also be an illustration to what the Lord was spoken to Isaiah the prophet which stands forever: “And it shall come to pass that before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking, I will hear.” (Isaiah 65:24)

No comments:

Post a Comment