Monday, November 21, 2016

HIT AND RUN



My heart still bleeds for the family and loved ones of a friend of a friend, who turned out later a good friend, who became a hit-and-run victim. As he was the sole breadwinner in the family, on top of being in hand-to-mouth existence, it’s not hard to imagine what kind of life his surviving “heirs” will have because of what happened.

Until now the still unidentified culprit has yet to show up anywhere to admit full responsibility, to have some help to offer. He may be hiding somewhere, yet he’ll be back in the streets sometime later, to bump someone anew with his Fortuner.

Whoever and where ever you are you inconsiderate creature, you may escape from the law but not heaven’s censure. As they say, what goes around comes around, and consequences abound. Whether you’ll be in the waters, in the air or on the ground, a Debt Collector will hound.

Friends, in this fragile life, we should all be careful, whether we’re crossing the streets or resting in a fox hole. In every nook and cranny of this world, there are wolves patiently lurking, ready to pounce any moment on an unwitting and so helpless less victim.

Why do we Filipinos often if not always end up victims of hit-and-run? Had it not for a brave woman, one of her species but of different breed nearly did fly the coop through the airport to have some fun. Marcos and his cronies hit us in the 70’s, ran (away) in the 80’s, and came back with a vengeance with full force in the 90’s.

I had a very close lady friend in college with whom I was—hohum— head over heels, but the thing had been kept behind the veil until this FB narration spontaneously reveals. My courage was nipped in the bud since just as I was ready to tell her she was my “the one,” she confided to me she’d drag herself to marry her neighbor “John” just because her BF “Jimmy” did her “hit-and-run.”

In this life, be alert, be vigilant, like I do when I come inside the chamber to check and peek my FB account with my boss’ desktop and proceed later to scan. All I need is a two-minute break that he has to spend inside the C.R. to take a leak at once, and I have to be fast doing an open-post-click-close sequence as I stand.

It’s like guerilla tactics in a warring land. It’s also a fine example of “hit and run.”

No comments:

Post a Comment