Monday, November 14, 2016

ONE MORNING AFTER THE STORM


Just by traveling via public transportation at least five times a week to and from work for a very long time, I could not help but be aware of other people’s growth and the development of their own lives.

There’s this bubbly, effervescent but fine young lady, but now a charming mother of two, whom I shared a ride with a lot of times since her early years in high school around twenty years ago. I unwittingly watched her when she donned a familiar college uniform too, and so with during the days when that uniform turned into an all-white “terno.”

I have no doubt she enrolled her two young children in her own alma mater either since the little girls’ outfits I guess were exactly like she wore the first time I saw her. Actually, I was a little bit surprised and did not immediately remember when I spotted her only again while she was tagging along with her those two. The interval between us was probably too long for I could not recall any instance seeing her having that “great ball of fire” in front of her torso.

However, since I myself believe that the Truth and the Kingdom belong to the children despite knowing Bill Cosby agreed to the contrary as he thought kids only say the darndest things, I came to understand through their casual conversation then that they were compelled to take public transportation because their family driver inexplicably forsook them.

I laughed in silence as I kept on eavesdropping when mom and daughters discussed how to take a different tack, playfully arguing about their next options for more coming days if the driver would continue his disappearing act.

What intrigued me a little bit though was why I never did hear a thing about their dad. But I wanted to believe that he was elsewhere and busily piling up food and mammon perhaps. The mother was no longer wearing her last outfit which caused me then to call her a standard “white lady.” Well, either she changed career or decided to have the noblest vocation of all: being a full-time mom. Maybe.

I unintentionally watched her grow up through the years while I was frantically sorting out my own life with sunny day’s apes and gorillas in the mist. No, we didn’t, still don’t, know each other till now by name, FB account or email address, and I’m convinced beyond reasonable doubt she even knows that I also exist.

I just can’t help comparing myself to her how she has overtaken me by many, many miles today, considering that her life had barely just begun when I was working with both feet already.

But I suspect she’s only ahead of me when it comes to tangible things because if with her life she’s now so happy, I have my permanent joy myself but only if I would abide in the shadow of the Almighty (Psalms 91:1).

Life is always worth living because my God lives and takes away my fears, regardless of the precariousness of these present times, by faith, my bright future is secured forever. Although I have the same kind of job until now for these grueling years, still, I always love my work despite lacking real and personal improvements whatsoever.

In fact, even if I’m a little bit sick today, not feeling better, I’ve to show my passion for work with more loving care. Metaphorically and literally, slightly begrudgingly, I must stand and deliver….

No comments:

Post a Comment