Tuesday, January 17, 2017

THE TEACHER


I did initially hesitate to reveal this, fearing humiliation, but today be it universally known that the teaching profession is one of my very few personal frustrations. I had always wanted to become a teacher when I was in elementary but when I held Pongkie’s guitar in high school, I envisioned myself instead as a rock and roll sensation.

The imposing images in my rich young mind of all my early tutors in their various national uniforms all vanished therefrom simply too soon.  They were replaced by the unruly crowd of pretty faces of young girls who would shriek and swoon as they watch my concert in my wild imagination.

But although I secretly aspired to reach even just a tiny fraction of stature and fame enviably earned by John, Paul, George and Ringo, I have firmly believed in my heart too that teaching is the noblest of all calling but at the same time the most difficult job to do.

It’s because I understand it’s not easy to mold dreams of any kind. It’s because it’s always a Herculean task to hone and engrave a human mind.

I totally agree with many people that indeed experience is the best teacher. And I’m so grateful for every moment with those ones worthy to remember. Their words would often linger in memory. Their faces and figures are always here to stay.

And although there were some teachers whose moments with them others would not consider a privilege, yet in general I always have high regard for those men and women of whom I was under tutelage.  Doubtless I’m wholeheartedly convinced they were the best in their time, the way I believe that the most beautiful girls I met were a love of mine.

Even during the lowest times in my life when I was neither here, there nor everywhere, there were some individuals from yesterday who are likewise unforgettable teachers. They were the ones who taught me how to buy and burn illegal stuff now legal in Denver, and guided me to earn my doctorate degree right after becoming a drunken master.

Hence, I pity those ‘classmates,’ some of whom I still see now, who liked to shout then ‘We don’t need no education’ or ‘Hey! Teacher! Leave us kids alone!’ during a roll call. They are the early birds that were catching a worm too much too soon, but now on a free fall, flying no more, bashing their heads in regret against another brick in the wall.

Shame on him or her whoever coined a teacher as public enemy number one among mankind.  Not just a few gullible souls were swayed to fully believe it in their sub-conscious mind.

Yesterday, whether in feast or in strife, a teacher to me was always larger than life.  Allow me to say, almost all those mentors of mine, they were all a hero of our time. They were also underpaid and the most abused in the field of professionals, yet they worked hard, with diligence and dedication, even for the lesser mortals.

I fervently hope and pray every teacher in the whole country today would continue to run the torch of passion for wisdom and virtue by the educators of yesterday. The latter mostly were women of sacrifice, who deliberately forgot earthly passion and personal glory, that the next generation would seek their paths rightly.

Yeah, most public teachers of old were not driven by money.  People thought they get rich if they marry a seaman only.

I can never be a professional teacher anymore, tomorrow, much less today, due to compelling reasons and botched opportunity. Nevertheless, for those who wish for eternal glory, who knows, I may also teach, point and lead on somebody.

To the Truth.  To the Way.  To the Life.  For all eternity (John 14;6).

No comments:

Post a Comment