Friday, January 13, 2017

THE PROMISE


One of the best things about New Year’s resolution is, right after the New Year’s Day, comes its immediate dissolution. As they say, promises are made to be broken, thus, to no one they should be indiscriminately given. No, not even to yourself, lest you may end up too fooling your own self.

If you also believe that a promise is a promise is a promise, then you don’t need friends in this world as surely everybody would be enemies. Most of the time, without waiting for their explanation at least, I’d quickly declare someone guilty of breaking a promise. Forgetting that I am probably guiltier than he/she is, most especially, in matters strictly involving love’s phases.

But as I search my own self deep down my soul with all diligence sometimes, I’d find that if I hurt people then, I meant it not, for when I told them I loved them, they were really a true love of mine (important note: I said “people,” not just women, people!).

That’s why though others roll their eyes upon hearing you saying “you are my one and only” to your truly one and only at present and hopefully in the future, you don’t mind them knowing they’re the same people who heard the same phrase you said to all the girls you’ve had loved before.

I have this strong feeling that the law on divorce would be approved finally, not in part, but in full. It could be like Moses did when he crafted their divorce law because of the insistence of Israelites, the “stiff-necked” people. That anyone whom to marry is in his wishes, could his/her marriage vows later be easily relinquished.

I’m thinking, what if the Great Author of Marriage, like what He did once in the wilderness, in much anger would let this generation also know His breach of promise (Numbers 14:34)? What if He ran out of patience too for the not-seriously-marrying people, and would let that flying by Apophis Meteorite to take a detour, slamming itself on Earth as one example?

Most important thing is, you have no cruel intention to break your sacred vow deliberately. As “Better is it that thou shouldest not vow than that thou shouldest vow and not pay.” (Ecclesiastes 5:5).

Like I do to the recipient of my vows and who had ended my search, the one I hold in my heart always even if sometimes such love hurts. To the last drop of my blood, for richer, she’s my queen of hearts. For poorer, I think I have promised as well:  till debt do we parch.

No comments:

Post a Comment