Friday, December 16, 2016

MY COUSIN JULIUS


The memories are still fresh, it was only fifteen days after I had turned twenty-two when I first ever set foot in the Metro.  I was fetched from Negros Navigation’s Pier Two by my Aunt Cora who took me under her wings, and home and shelter too.

And that was when I met my male first cousins there whom I admit were all well-endowed when it comes to physicality, particularly Julius who’s merely a year older than me.  I was sure I’d be spending a lot of time with him because of our being in almost the same age level but I was a little bit surprised upon knowing he already had his own family.

At twenty-three, his face was like that of a budding movie star at the time, someone named Robin, and I could not hide my envy each time I’d glance at him.  That envy grew bigger when we’d find a job together as it was always he who would be instantly hired despite my superior credentials and vital document.

When I transferred residence to my mother’s cousin’s newly-built house in Cainta, we seldom saw and heard each other anymore.  More so when he just opted to become a jeepney driver and experimented himself with things our current President would like to kill for.

Last New Year’s Day, I was happy to be able to visit their whole family for their traditional reunion in Molino 1, Cavite.  There, we had our first ever picture together, despite my memorable stay with them previously in Alabang, specifically in L&B.  At the time, Town Center was the only mall therein, from where each time Julius and I would leave I’ll sing in happiness on top of my voice.  There was my first ever Metro Manila mall experience, along with my first ever “karnabal” in Bing Bang, where I dubbed ourselves “Alabang Boys.”

Then, a message did I read here in my account on December 10, saying gone was Julius my cousin, while I was in the middle of personal conflict.  But in spite of it, and my tight previous commitments, let alone the budget, I found a way to start a long, slow, twenty-four-hour journey to his wake.

And I tried recalling those Alabang memories as I beheld anew his still pretty face lying in a coffin in deafening silence.  Yeah, those little memories linger for they were well-spent, refreshed when I remember Julius calling me Insan thence.

Thanks for those wonderful times of joy, Insan, for those genuine love, concern and care.  I’m more joyful to know that you had accepted Christ as your Savior too before you left here.

For I’m gonna see you again beyond the skies, later for forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment