Thursday, August 25, 2016

AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN


(Note:  Edited excerpts from August 24, 2011 at 2:28pm)

“Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it” (Proverbs 22:6).

Last Saturday, I brought my 6-year-old Simond Saved to his pedia due to a minor stomach ailment, which later became one of that day’s fears.  On a clear sunny day, he’d be riding tandem with me on my Nokia 125, but rain transformed us both then and there into ordinary bus commuters.

On our way back home, I saw a gorgeous woman, a uniformed police officer bound for Antique. She was standing at the aisle very patiently. The bus was full; most of the passengers were sleepy.

And I was in a quandary.

I found myself asking if I should sacrifice that hour of rest of mine for my beloved son.  And I asked myself if it’s high time he’d be taught about culture, tradition and wisdom.

My eyes compassionately gazed at my sleeping child one more time. I beheld his innocence; he was still lightyears away from his prime.  I whispered to him I had to mold his dreams. I had to shape his future. I had to design his destiny.  For tomorrow, whether I’d like it or not, he would be free choosing for himself his own preferred way.

Next to God’s wisdom he should be educated about the tradition of men. But first and foremost, he should start living with respect for women. If my son’s tomorrow would make him a cop too, then he must be an incorruptible officer and a very fine gentleman all through.

And the first step to become a gentleman is to have constant care for a woman. You don’t cause her annoyance, neither break her heart, you give her importance.  You’ve to open the door for her, you cover her and stay left.  That’s when you two are crossing a one-way eastward street.

And remember constantly to give up your seat swiftly, right upon seeing her on the bus standing-room-only.

Yeah, that instant would be a perfect OJT moment for my son.  He had to learn it at once, the Lesson A in Gentlemanship 101.

As before us was a lady in distress, obviously exhausted, tired and stressed.  My flesh and everything inside out were urging me that to my child I’d say this:  “Son, giving up your seat in favor of a woman is a class act of a perfect gentleman.”

But I was able to hold my tongue, although still warring inside me were propriety and passion.  Thank God I remembered decency, maybe it wasn’t time yet for such type of education. 

For my son was then in deep slumber as he quietly sat.  And, besides, he was comfortably SITTING ON MY LAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment