Saturday, January 27, 2018

DOUBT



One day last week,—mind you, a very grinding week,—a pretty visitor from the Big City came to our workplace and requested for some public documents from the archives to be photocopied. From my very first glance I could not take anymore my eyes off her face since I was groping for some clear memory of where I previously saw those glittering eyes behind her fake eyelashes.
A few seconds later I never had a doubt anymore despite those extra baggage and extra large dark glasses that she was a former actress who also had a lead role in a critically acclaimed film by Lino Brocka, a brave, well-known Martial Law critic. She may now only be a shadow of what she once was but I’d still smell in her persona some traces of her past glories, after, as mere consolation by a movie star to a starstruck ex-fan of the old Philippine cinema, she engaged me in a brief tȇte-à-tȇte.
Last I heard she’s happily married to a very successful businessman after she decided that the lure of limelight she would shun. I must doff my hat for her, for I would have avoided marriage myself and had chosen showbiz instead had I been given a chance. But that was then, when all I saw in showbiz was glitz and glamour. When I had witnessed everything except sin, misery and rancor.
Truly, “all that glitters is not gold,” as goes the song from one of the popular expressions of the wise. Like what the young candidate Ruffa Gutierrez opined that life’s essentials are invisible to the naked eyes. Well, it’s because we tend to only believe on the things concrete and always put a doubt on everything abstract and unattractive. Usually, only through the things we touch with our hands and see with our own eyes that we start to learn to analyze and perceive.
Same with believing in Christ Jesus as He is, so many religious groups have a doubt on Him and on His deity, because even the dirtiest among sinners would He receive. They doubt that He is the only Way and means towards reconciliation with God and that no other name under heaven given to mankind by which people must be saved (Acts 4:12).
Many among us still think that to have faith, they first need an image, forgetting what to Thomas the Lord Jesus had said, “Because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed” (John 20:29).

No comments:

Post a Comment