Thursday, January 25, 2018

A LONG AND LASTING LOVE

(Memories on January 24, 2014)


I think I’ve had mentioned in passing somewhere in here a story about her, many happy and sad posts ago which you did also endure, using for her another pseudonym even I could not recall anymore. I just remember her once more when Big Boss-A, not knowing I knew her for sure or that her path and mine crossed too in the not-so-distant past, nonchalantly talked about her sudden departure.

Let me liberally refer her here as Pretty Girl-C. Well, if I give someone a name I do make sure I give appropriately.

Big Boss-A, Cutie Boy-B, and Pretty Girl-C were classmates in a certain academic level one time or another but the last two were romantically closer. Long before Big Boss-A became a big boss even of an executioner, Cutie Boy-B and I were close roommates as only a thin pillow served as our divider. I came to know him only when I first arrived at our boarding house where I was assigned by our host in the same room with him where there were no open windows. In the beginning, I frowned upon his being too much in love with himself like Narcissus, but his enviable beauty and amiable attitude later made us no more strange bedfellows.

Cutie Boy-B was a bright boy but also a literal philosopher, or to be rude in a local dialect, “Pilosopo,” for the accurate term. Yet, to his antics, I would not squirm especially after learning that when it comes to love we’re both uncompromising and firm. Most of the time during the day he talked mostly nonsense or something hazardous to eardrum as we were both sorting morning chores while we would cram. But during the night, when the topic shifted to love, we’d always love to jam, seriously talking together at the same time as if tomorrow would never come.

And that was when I met Pretty Girl-C in his bedtime stories and in repeated emotional spins. Until her name in mind didn’t just ring a bell but it exploded well like “Goodbye Philippines.” Who would never know a girl totally inside out, when as you sleep and wake up it’s her life you keep hearing about? No wonder, long before I met Pretty Girl-C up close and personal, it felt like we were weaned together and grew up in time equal.

Albeit Cutie Boy-B didn’t reveal it to me in bed during the early stages of his tell-all tale and other fascinating gabs, I knew it right away in his first few words that his and Pretty Girl-C’s was just another story of the rise and fall of love. I did not bother to ask him anymore who was to blame between them for their bitter break-up, all I knew until he and I parted ways later too that Cutie Boy-B would be the one to suffer a long and lasting love.

And one Valentine’s day, when he requested me once and for all to deliver for him a bouquet of roses to Pretty Girl-C at her place of work in the city, I obliged with all my heart and saddled up to meet her in the flesh finally, knowing the loving feeling of a man who thought of nothing but one woman only. However, she didn’t accept herself the flowers which only on her table I placed. Maybe, some peace offering would not be acceptable in war even if they are roses. Maybe, some people believe some love lasts a lifetime, I just don’t know if hatred does too sometimes.

I felt sad of course when Big Boss-A did break the news Pretty Girl-C became another casualty of the Big C. I only hope Cutie Boy-B, who’s said to be based now in the duplicate land of milk and honey would find peace too finally.

As one song puts it, “A long and lasting love, not many people find it….” Unlike God’s love that never fails (I Cor. 13:8), a man’s love is always incomplete.

No comments:

Post a Comment