Friday, February 24, 2017

SURPRISE

[February 24, 2014]

“… [F]or there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known” (Matthew 10:26).

Judging from the surprising and sterling performance by the young Christian Michael Martinez in Sochi Winter Olympics, I’d say, given enough funding, training and other resources, our country has a bright future too in an ice contest. And one event that surprisingly caught my choosy attention, although only in passing, was this first time I’ve seen, the very interesting and so amusing sport called Curling.

I think long before Olympic organizers came up with this bright idea of a game that looks like street sweeping revolutionized and did upgrade, we’ve already an abundant supply of potential talent, pure Philippine-made, in Metro Manila alone, i.e. in the person of a metro aide.

If metro aides could sweep everything from Pasay Rotunda to Monumento in so short a time, why not a mere Olympic arena of ice with no presence therein of any grain of dust a cloud of which in EDSA shines?

And how do we start training those metro aides? Well, first things first, while on duty let them wear roller blades. Don’t surprise them to go and train directly with ice skates, they would be discouraged, I tell you, I’ve had such similar experiences.

During its height of popularity in the early years of an ice rink in Megamall, a cousin surprised me with some complimentary ticket for the facility and all. As I presumed it to be right at first sight of then biggest SM’s dry ice, I was sure everything would be as easy as A-B-C despite not learning yet to use roller blades at the time. After they put the skates on my feet while I was beaming wide and told me the rink was now totally mine, I quickly took two steps with pride and ended up swimming on it like a tortoise so drunk with wine.

Without any help from others on the rink, I could not even make a stand and give others a wink. And I spent the next couple of hours hugging the railings as if they were long lost friends, and moving around on all fours while staring blank like an Egyptian Sphinx.

After that incident, I totally abandoned whatever love I have had for ice, well, except halo-halo. And I vowed a vow never to set foot in Russia and Antarctica or any other icy regions too. But lately, I was surprised such love has returned unintentionally because of Christian. And I did start dreaming again we’d get a medal, both in Summer and Winter Olympics, yes, the Filipino can.

We only have to totally renew our conventional and basic trust in every Filipino. Well, maybe except for politicians who are lying in wait, lurking around, and ready to pounce on you? Christian reached the stage he reached in Sochi without any help from a politician who loves to stage robbery on a treasury.

In truth and in fact too many ordinary Filipinos like a taxi driver and a janitor, and lately a waitress in Italy who brought to this country enormous pride and honor. They did so by returning the money or kind they found anywhere, because right at the very first moment they knew it wasn’t theirs. In direct contrast with a shameless politician, who rather destroys such honor, and our future, by raiding the ‘kaban ng bayan.’

And look how developments surprise everyone regarding the emergence of witnesses in big-time thieveries in the past. Truly, soon or late, our past sins would catch us up especially if we wouldn’t grieve and ask forgiveness from God. Since the beginning, life definitely always has full of surprises. Though we have to expect anytime for the worst, let’s hope for the best.


Like a story I read about a lying and dying old man who was asked by his children on what would he prefer, to be interred in a tomb or be cremated simply. He was so touched by this gesture that, fighting back tears, before his last breath, he just smiled and struggled to say, “It’s… up… to you, well… just… surprise me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment