Wednesday, February 27, 2019

BUGOY


The word “Bugoy” per se in our native tongue would have various meaning. But it usually has negative implication to a person of whom you are calling. When I was a child I was instantly amused upon hearing for the first time we had barriomates named “Bugoy” and “Bәyӛng” as they were fondly called by their own mother. Yeah, they’re brothers and for those who are still uninitiated with “Kinaray-a,” “Bugoy” and “Bәyӛng” originally would mean “anarchists” and they are synonymous with each other.

I am not exactly sure but I think I only met “Bugoy” in our barrio once and for all. And I was surprised when “Bәyӛng” at one time became a classmate in high school. Since then, without realizing it, I surprisingly found myself fascinated with people named “Bugoy.” For it seems their character’s perfectly opposite to their name, yeah, they’re not the real McCoy. Thus, when I came to know about the coming of the movie starred by the great comedian Dolphy that has “Bugoy” for a title, I didn’t buy Pater Ikong’s banana cue for two months, walked to and from school in the morning and afternoon to avoid a tricycle. That in Golden Cinerama I’d see “Bugoy.” And I really did, and there I did tremendously enjoy.

My next and last so far, personal encounter with that particular name which when heard by anyone for the first time, his curiosity would be aroused, was when Tatay was employed by the provincial government through “Bugoy” so we had a new, shining Toyota Land Cruiser parked beside our house. And that was the first and only time that a luxury vehicle rested in and touched my father’s lot: Courtesy of someone they all comfortably called “Bugoy” from whom Tatay said he owed a lot. No, not of cash or any large amount since my father is allergic to borrowing or similar kind ever since, but for giving him a chance to become a public servant when he gave his best during his short stint therein.

Yeah, short, it’s simply because just only a few months on his government service as mere utility driver, his eyes were opened to the reality that with a low salary he’d be forced to put his children’s future in a wager. I did not know nor even noticed then that his eyes were well with tears each time he saw our rice would be mixed with corn. Therefore he would decide shortly that enough was enough, he’d resign, lest in our eyes later he’d be a father scorned.

Some veteran colleagues of him in the Capitol gave my father an idea to do a “paihi kang gasolina” to have enough extra income weekly thrice the value of a month salary. But he refused to do so, and told Nanay he’d rather see all of us die with his wage in hunger and poverty than to feed us using “Katas ng Madiskarteng Driver na hindi nag-Saudi.” But his chief reason was “Bugoy,” the inimitable, the amiable Vicente “Bugoy” Molejona, the office chief, who personally handpicked him to get the job because he trusted him so much. The man would even forbid him to call him “Boss” or “Sir,” but just simply “Bogs,” who treated him not as an office driver or subordinate but like an equal, thus he vowed not to break that trust.

Therefore my father returned to his old familiar job as public utility jeepney driver where our meals had unlimited rice again. Yet he’d always look back and be grateful for that experience of having the always smiling boss, simply called “Bugoy,” had given him.

The “Bugoy” who always had nothing but kind words, and whom our family would love. The “Bugoy” I will always consider to be the best municipal mayor Miagao never had.

Thank you, Nong Bugoy… Attaboy….

No comments:

Post a Comment