Sunday, December 3, 2017

IN MY LIFE

[Refurbished edition from December 4, 2012 at 8:40pm]

“There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain…”
I timidly smiled when these lyrics from a cell phone nearby played within my hearing range. For some of those words brought joy, and some gave pain.
I was then sitting early this morning like Forrest Gump on a bench at the bus stop beside Miagao Catholic Church while waiting for the bus bound for Antique. But unlike Mr. Gump, I never had the courage, talent and skill to talk to a total alien about shrimps, war and friendship, much less my own love story.
Several people sat with me on the bench, some were mere bystanders but most of them were fellow commuters. I tried to start some talk with an honest sneer but when I only got a curt reply, I took it they wouldn’t talk to strangers.
As I glanced to all passersby I felt like a virtual unknown in my spot, though I managed to smirk to some familiar faces who also smirked back.
Many years ago, in that same spot but without a bench yet, I felt like a superstar which would shine for all eternity. The same with what was felt by everyone else, since everybody knew everybody, at any given time of any day. You only greet people with a nod, wink and comedic distortion of lips, or your body. Or making cute faces if and when their names temporarily escaped your memory.
As I looked back, also literally, at the church behind me, I couldn’t help but remember the times we, as young children then, raced against each other to reach the top of the bell tower. Every time there were weddings or a funeral, we'd run, unmindful of possible slip, especially the bold and brave among us, those who were a total stranger, or clueless, to the word danger.
And more danger posed when curiosity started to reign over, that was when we reached high school a few more years later. For while others below rubbed their knees on the floor we were up there burning weeds like a normal experimenting teener.
It was also up there when, as we threw our panoramic gaze around as innocent kids in band, we first suspected there were other life forms outside Miagao and possibly more beyond.
We had only dreamed then of life's chocolates in boxes and everything sweet. Now I’ve proven Forrest Gump was right: we'd never know what we're gonna get.

No comments:

Post a Comment